Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

I WENT A TRAVELING, A TRAVELING I DID GO...

I went a traveling, a traveling I did go,
I wound up in countries which I did not know...
In these countries I could not speak to those I needed to speak to,
For their language was one I never heard, let alone ever knew...

Everything was fine, yes, it was fine,
Until they learned the country of mine,
They were not pleased that I came from the USA,
And, I could not make them understand what I had to say...

Suddenly my travels became strange, oh, strange they became indeed,
As if I had come to taint them with vengeance and greed...
I tried to find someone who could interpret for me,
But, everyone scathed my presence as if it were leprosy...

I never felt so lost or all alone, yes, I was quite alone,
It was the most humiliating time I have ever known...
I just wanted to get away from people such as these,
I just wished that their hatred of me would cease...

I was walking to the airport, walking along the way,
When I heard screams coming from somewhere near the bay...
I hurried to see what had happened, and, what did I see,
A mother had stumbled, and, into the water, went her baby...

I did not think twice, twice I did not give it a thought,
I did not care into what kind of mess I was caught,
I jumped into the waters, which were cold as ice,
Searching for the child, I considered not, if I was or not, being nice...

Down I went into the cold wetness, into the cold wetness I went,
Coming up for air when my breath had been spent...
Finally I felt her tiny body brush my hand,
I grabbed her and swam like hell to the land...

There was a crowd now, a crowd there seemed to be,
As I grabbed onto the dock for security,
I gave the mother her child, she cried and cried,
I was raised up out of the water, by hands of great pride...

Suddenly I was hugged, oh, hugged and kissed I was, that day,
It seemed that all previous disdain for me had melted away...
I was taken to a hotel, where I was given the royal treatment by everyone,
I was given the best of everything, for the human thing I had done...

People started speaking to me, speaking to me they did, in my native tongue,
Such a beautiful sound was it as if angels of the heavens had in their voices sung...
I learned that day about prejudice, hatred, apathy, and, about how love can be shared,
If we learn that our outward differences are to be embraced, not despaired...

Oh, I went a traveling, a traveling I did go,
Blessed with the knowledge that only some know,
Which is this; no matter where you come from, no matter from how far,
You will eventually blend in if you simply reveal who you really are...

No comments: