Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

REFLECTIONS OF 9/11, THEN AND TODAY

Today marks the 6TH anniversary of that fateful day when life in America came to a state of shock and disbelief! 9/11...

I remember it so well; a friend called and told me to turn on the Television, I asked why, they told me just do it. I did and I thought I was seeing a movie being made or something, but, no, it was quite real. I turned on the set just in time to see the 2ND plane hit the 2ND tower. I was lost. My heart fell to my feet. I did not stop watching for months, I am sure.

I could not get enough of it, in my quest to make sense of such a thing. I saw people jumping from the tower. Some went forward, the rest fell out backwards, as if that would make it less real. I cried and cried and felt as if it were happening to me, I was so far gone in the tragedy, lost in the senselessness of such a scene...

My world changed that day, and, I am sure many of us feel the same way. In our resolve, we picked up the pieces of our lives and propelled forward, trying desperately not to blame those who might be related to the jihad. Some of us, such as myself, live in a city which hosts the largest Arab community in the United States, and, it has been difficult since that day not to fear the population of them living as close as next door. They have been affected too, they are leery of the American citizen for fear that we suspect them as well. It is very different, because we don't know, and, won't know until something happens again....

I have not prejudice in my being, I do not believe in prejudice or bias. It is not necessary to life, in fact it is against everything I believe in. Still, I find myself being watchful around some of the Arabs in my community, as, for one thing, I know certain things about them and their community which scares me, plus, who knows who is who? I do not like fearing anyone, that also is against my nature, so, I struggle to not suspect, yet to remain vigilant and alert. How do we manage to do that fairly? Is there any such way?

I love the world and all of its peoples. I believe that we are one world under God. I believe that not judging a person for their heritage is the key to love and world peace, and, still, here we are, fearful of letting our guard down because we know not who is next door, what they are planning and how far they will go to make a statement against my country... Such a sad state of affairs, and, still, what it has come to...

I pray that the families of the victims of 9/11, and, the survivors are healing, and, that life yet has some benefit for each of them. I hope that they have enough love in their hearts and souls to look beyond the act itself, that they are not caught up in the very ploy which the terrorists intended that they be bound in... I pray that today, there is a smile on their faces, embracing the very fragile existence of life itself... God bless and keep us all in His loving embrace, that we are wise enough to go and grow beyond such tragedy...

No comments: