Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

THE CHILD WITHIN changed to THE CHILD, ME...

I am sitting, watching the children play,
And, I must say,
That I am having a difficult time,
Sitting as stiff as a mime...
I honor the child within me,
I love to play, and, to act silly,
So, why am I sitting here acting mature,
Wishing for things that once were?
I long to run, and, fly a kite, high in the sky,
I want to dash through a sprinkler, then, sit in the sun to dry...
I have to feel that feeling of being way younger than I...
So I get up, deciding that I will get on the swing,
I will go as high as I can and bale out, like a bird on wing...
Then, I will get on the merry-go-round,
Where I will listen to the whooshing sound...
Maybe later, I will get an ice cream cone,
In a flavor that I have never tasted or known...
I see a hopscotch pattern on the walkway,
I will be a kid for one whole day...
I am making my steps, and, my cell phone rings,
I so do not want to give up these things...
I look to see who might be calling for me,
It is my boss, I wish I didn't care what it could be...
Still, I am walking toward the swings, trying to defy,
But, responsibility takes over, and, I press redial, oh, I could cry...
I am told that I have to work late, again tonight,
I am frustrated, as they have ruined my delight...
Off, I go, feeling like I am going to prison, feeling old,
Wishing that I wasn't so good at doing what I am told...
Along the way to my car, I decide to buy that cone,
In a flavor that I have not yet tasted or known,
And, it made me feel, just a bit less grown...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I ever had the pleasure of seeing you in person, I'd take us out for some ice-cream and a park so we could ride the swing set and have some happy conversation!!!!!

This poem made me smile. . .

Anonymous said...

If we lose the child within us, we've lost one of the greatest gifts from God. Incredible poem by an incredible woman!!

Lynda said...

Ha! Thank you Bobby, that is so nice to hear... bet it would be lots of fun!!!!

Lynda said...

Thank you get-fit-r, that is a great compliment, and you are so right, we have to maintain that child... Thanks so much!