Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

THE LOVE-HATE OF WINTER...

On such a daydream day, I sat watching the huge snowflakes falling toward the Earth, finding amusement in the mysterious spacing of them, for it was almost perfectly 6 inches between each one. Then, it began snowing harder, and the spacing was replaced with intensity, as they rushed to beat the other in their decline. Watching the snow always reminds me of Classical music: many times, I will pop on Beethoven or Mozart or some other great genius, to watch as the snow and the tempos match and fade...

I detest winter! I love the first snowfalls, true, as much excitement unfolds with them, but, the pleasure is soon lost in the drabness, the cold, and the length of the season. Still, there is more than magic in the falling snow, evenings are lit as lights reflect off it, and as children of all ages sled, skate, ski, snowboard, make snowmen, snowballs, or snow forts. I used to love making snow forts, they were great! Oh, let's not to forget snow angels, which even elderly people will attempt, just one more time...

People remind me that Christmas is not Christmas without snow. It depends on who you are. Christmas is Christmas where the spirit of Christmas is, and even in the desert, I had some wonderful Holidays, so, that doesn't ring true for me, though, for those who have always lived in areas where snow and Christmas are synonymous, I can relate...

Truly, at the onset of winter, there is much pleasure to be found, it is as the season drags on, messy, cold, wet, with blackened snow from car exhaust, storms, and such, that it is rather discomforting. Yeah, I deal with it, I haven't much choice, for even with a vacation, when you arrive back home, it is still there, and seems even longer lasting...

For now, I am going to make the best of it, as I settle into acceptance of winter, with its wonders and its less than magical conditions, that I might retain a memory to recall at a later time of the dancing snowflakes, so large, so slow, which suddenly, become racing droplets of frozen matter, filling the beauty of nature with a blanket which in the end, will have nourished, and rejuvenated. Ah, winter, a love-hate fact of life...

No comments: